User Control not available in secondary applications

jswota

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I have created a VB.Net UserControl that i want to use in other VB.Net applications. The problem that i am facing is this:

If i add a project to the UserControl's solution itself for testing i have the control available in my toolbox. I can drag the control to forms within the secondary test projects.

If i create a new solution and add a reference to my UserControl's dll, then the control is not available in the toolbox.

Can anyone please tell me why this is the case? Do i have scope issues?

Thanks,
Joel

You can drag the dll from Windows Explorer to Toolbox to auto-add all controls in dll. You can also use a dialog to customize the Toolbox, context menu "choose items..." or Tool menu item "Choose Toolbox items...", here you can browse to the dll that you want to add to Toolbox and select which items that should be included.

When you add an item from Toolbox to a form the required references are automatically added to project if they are not already there.

The VS Toolbox item choices is global for all projects, only the 'project Components' area is dynamic for the currently open project.

Back