Upgrade from VS 2003 to VS2005 and doing things with MS Office documents

Dycker

Programming Experience
10+
Hello, I am thinking of upgrading to VS2005 specifically because I may need to do some things with MS Office documents from withing my Window Application. I have been reading a bit about the Tools for Office version of VS2005 and a couple of things are not apparant to me. This is what I need to be able to do (at least):

1. Present users of my Windows Application with a list of Word or Excel documents with the ability to print them from the application. (This is something I have tried with some success in VS2003 but not any consistancy over various users.)

2. From my Windows Application, I will need to be able to open a Word template and place in it data coming from fields in an SQL table. Similarily, I need to create Excell documents based on data in my SQL database.

From what I am reading, I would need to create an Office Project for each Word or Excell document!? Can I then access these Office Projects from my Windows Forms Project? I don't understand if I could create a Forms Project and print and alter Word or Excell documents from it.

I hope this is clear because it is a bit muddy to me. I had lots of trouble trying to print Word documents through Windows Forms in VS2003. I was hoping things are easier in VS2005.

Thanks,
Gerry

P.S.
Is there any problems with having VS2003 and VS2005 on the same computer?

In both versions it is possible to do Office Automation using references to the Office libraries (all the tasks you wrote about above can be done through office automation). VS2005 is 2 years newer than VS2003 and one would expect it to be easier/better, and I have found this to be true.
I haven't used Office Projects but after reading about them I don't think that is the solution you would want to pursue for the reason you stated. It would however be possible to create an Office Project and interact with it from a WinForm App using automation.

Your comment about consistancy over various users may have to do with different versions of Office and that can be overcome using late binding.

Back