Transfer files using sFTP

imranIBM

Programming Experience
3-5
I have a requirement to transfer files to a file server using sFTP. Does .Net 2.0 provide any features or classes to implement this? Thanks in advance for help.

Actually EnableSsl method is very tricky if mayevski meant about that.
Whenever you set it to True you get very strange exceptions ... so the next release of the VB brings a lot of improvments for supporting FTP-ing.
Currently i believe that your only choice is using a third party controls like chilkat, jscape etc.

The tricky part is handling of all specifics of SSL connection ( certificate validation, client-side authentication with certificates etc.). Also, Windows CryptoAPI doesn't support (until recent Windows version) some important cipher suites, such as AES-based and Camellia-based cipher suites.
There are some FTP-only quirks as well. If you work with just one or two servers, things might go ok, but when you deal with hundreds of various server software titles, you see the problems.

yeah and usually you see the problems especially when the FTP host doesn't support SSL lol and most don't support by default.

Means if you are FTP-ing to a secure FTP server, then that will work, otherwise it won't.
As i said already your best bet is some 3rd party product or waiting for the next VB release/version which will better support the FTP-ing.

Back