Textbox cursor control

esevin

Programming Experience
Beginner
With respect to a WindowsApplication, how would I create a block cursor within a textbox in place of the vertical bar default? I'm not referring to a mouseover cursor change but rather presenting the user with a block character in which to provide character-by-character input. I see how this can be done in a Console application but haven't yet found a solution for a Windows application. Thanks,

esevin said:
... I'm not referring to a mouseover cursor change but rather presenting the user with a block character in which to provide character-by-character input.

Please rephrase the question. I (maybe someone will) couldn't understand your idea from what you've said there ... sorry :(

Regards ;)

btw, wellcome to the forum :)

I think I know what esevin means, though I do not know the solution. In a DOS shell, if you back up with the left arrow, then press the Insert key, the input will go into "overtype" mode, where the characters you type actually replace successive characters instead of pushing them over to the right. In that case, the cursor is a large block that occupies most of the space of a whole character. (It's a bit of a throwback to old time, 80 col, amber-monitor-and-DOS computing :). The Insert key will do the same in Word, but does not use a block cursor -- I find that to be rather annoying because there's no visual feedback onscreen that you are in overtype mode, and I have a tendency to type over a few characters without noticing.

Block Cursor

Merrill has it exactly right. While it may be a throwback to DOS, it's quite contemporary for my application. Rather than trying to describe it in detail, those interested can look at www.allstarpuzzles.com/cryptograms/index.html. Opening any of the listed puzzles shows a format where the selected letter is highlighted wherever it appears in the cryptogram. As a programming exercise, I've duplicated the functionality of the program as a standalone windows application except that I can't duplicate how a selected letter is highlighted. Looks like a block cursor to me but it may just be a graphic character that is overwritten. As a beginner in VB.Net, I'm curious as to whether the block cursor can be implemented, especially as I've found references to it in console programs. But that might indeed be a throwback. Thanks anyway.

Back