TcpClient and "Unable to read data from the transport connection"

BtySgtMajor

Programming Experience
10+
Hi all,

I have a client/server app running with the client using TCPClient to poll the server every 5 seconds. Everything works fine, except once every minute and five or six seconds, I'll get this:

"Unable to read data from the transport connection." (from the NetworkStream.Read() method.)

The server looks to be fine, and since I have it in a Try/Catch block, it keeps going. I've also employed a packet sniffer to have a look, and for the life of me everything looks ok (save for the fact that the app only goes to the port I want it to for any SYN requests; the rest of the time it uses a different port for some reason, which should be firewalled off, but I guess it's considered a trusted port since it's SYNching through an open port...not that I'm a network genius by any stretch of the imagnation).

The code I have looks all right and it does what I want it to. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why I'm getting this error every minute and a bit and I'd really like to get rid of it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Duncan

Back