System.Diagnostics.Processes and perflib

mikegrove

Programming Experience
10+
I have a VS2003 app running on a win2k sp4 server with .net 2.0 installed. Anytime I use the system.diagnostics.processes class I get multiple errors in the Application Event log.
I have researched all over the place to find out why this happens (besides the fact that it can't access the performance counters) and the impact on our apps, but cannot find the answer to either. I know how to turn off the logging, but I would like to know what impact this is having on the apps and if it can be corrected.
I've tried repairing the framework but that didn't make a difference. The same app on a box with just the 1.1 framework installed, does not put errors in the Application Log.
The error we get is:
The Open Procedure for service ".NETFramework" in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\mscoree.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

Any insight would be extremely welcome.
Mike

Check 1008 Perflib error messages on Performance Data Counters. Do you have SP3 or later installed?

From what I know it should not be a problem to run a .Net 1.1 assembly on the .Net 2.0 framework, but if you say it runs fine on .Net 1.1 you could have that installed to the .Net 2.0 machine also, the frameworks are side-by-side.

Talking about performance counters, I once had an application that ran havoc which made performance counters disable, it was XP SP2 that caught them off-guard. I found no way around to enable them but to reinstall Windows. Actually I waited a month (because it was only Process class that didn't work), then wasted a week trying to fix it, then spent one day backing up data, reinstalling OS and applications and reconfiguring the machine. It then worked fine for performance counters afterwards.

perflib

Yep, we are on sp4. Thanks for the article link. I saw that one already and was hoping to not have to re-install the framework w/o knowing if that is the real problem. It seems to be a catch-all answer to the problem.
Well I'll try it on our development server and see if the problem 'fixes' itself with a re-install. :)

Back