Submit.. submit.. submit.. submitsubmitsubmit.. submit.. submitsubmit.. .. submit..

cjard

Programming Experience
10+
Ever since the forums upgrade, this forum spends a lot of time submitting some data/downloading something from ads.nc-software.com and img.ok-cdnsomethingblahblah.. It sometimes submits several times per second and the constant click click click of IE8 is doing my head in

I'd like the ad rotator script to be sorted out, as I do occasionally click on the adverts that are of interest because it helps the site..

I do have the option of installing ad blocker software and plugins that will strip these scripts out of the page but I'd like to first offer VBDNF the opportunity to fix this irritation

Nothing to be fixed, the banner ads rotate every 60 seconds to increase exposures and should do so without interrupting your posting/reading, i.e. async.

Thanks for clicking the ads, they are the only source of income to keep this site running.

No need to install any software, cjard. Just edit your hosts file to include any unwanted domains and point them to 127.0.0.1 :)

Neal - I'd rather make a donation than have ads on the site :)

Depends - would I be donating to remove the ads just for me, or for everyone :) Can the software cope with removing the ads per user?

Depends - would I be donating to remove the ads just for me, or for everyone :) Can the software cope with removing the ads per user?

I could put you in a dedicated usergroup that hides the ads, not hard to do. So how much would you pay to have no ads and also support the site? Annually?

Hmm I am afraid that this discussion will lead to heavy conflicts and misunderstandings.

I realize the ads can be annoying for some people but, it's the price you pay for a free site, right?
So Neal is absolutely right. Pay for the dedicated group if you want to get rid of them. Or install the mentioned plug-in and they will not appear anymore.

However If I was looking for help from a forum like this, most probably i'd happily tolerate them, recognizing the quality answers I'm getting free of charge. Period!

InertiaM: that wont help. The script that is performing the submit needs removing from the page.. It's not the ads I'm objecting to, it's the fact that IE8 makes the CLICK sounds (what you get when you navigate on a link) several times per second. It ruins my music and my concentration.

Please, use an ad rotator that downloads new ads by some method that doesnt make IE8 click click click click click click click click click constantly?

You can turn off the sounds IE makes by going into the Control Panel / Sounds and clear the "Starts Navigation" item. Alternate options are to use a different browser such as FireFox. The ads rotate every 60 seconds to increase show rates and they do that by renavigating which is the sound you're hearing.

If it's all the same, I'd prefer to keep my sounds and my browser, because I like IE8 and I like the feedback for when other sites are redirecting, how many times etc.

I'll look at ways of removing the script and the ads from the forums, seeing as noone seems prepared to acknowledge that an ad that submits SEVERAL TIMES PER SECOND (not minute.. SECOND) is a) faulty and b) seriously detrimental to the overall forums experience

Hi cjard,

The ads rotate every 60 seconds. Not a problem, I'll just charge you $100/month instead! :)

I'm currently using FF, but do have IE8 installed. I just checked the site (index, forum, thread) with volume turned up high enough to reliably hear the clicks and only got a single click noise each navigation. Then, at each 60 seconds interval, I hear around 10 rapid clicks, which is each ad frame navigating. As client there are those options mentioned (navigation sound off, other browser, adblocker). One option for server (Neal), if possible, is to not use frames/iframes and instead use positioned divs and a setInterval javascript to get new content, this would not count as navigation (ajax). Probably not difficult to do with simple linked image ads, but more difficult if the ad (now frame) displays more complex content.

Btw, if I did have those sounds and were listening to music, I'd probably not want disturbing navigation sounds at all and turn those off.

John,

Thanks for the suggestion, I contacted the banner ad vendor and he replied:

We tried tried div tags in the past and it does not work in the case of 3rd party ads, flash ads, etc. Using Ajax is possible but works only if Ban Man Pro is installed at the same domain where the ads are being served because of Ajax security. I will see if we can include an Ajax call in the next version.

Back