Strange Visual Problem

caglar

Programming Experience
3-5
I have a Windows application which works quite-well in my PC. But when I run my executable in a different PC, somethings weird occur. Basicly I have some animations, generated in VB.NET code. Animations work quite well in my desktop, but in another PC they simply fail. For example, some labels don't become visible or even whole animation does not start. But when I minimize the program, maximize again that animation starts working or labels become visible. I am unable to identfy the pattern of the problem. Controls may not be validated or something like that but why it is not happening in my PC and how it is affected by the minimize,maximize action. Any idea is welcome. I am giving the configurations for the PCs.

Thanks.

Working Platform:

P4 2.8 GHZ Prescott
NVIDIA FX5200
512 MB RAM
Windows XP PRO,Service pack 2,.net framework 1.1

Not working platform:

Celeron 2.4 GHZ
256 MB Ram (I tried 512 also)
Everything is on board (video,sound,etc)
Windows XP Home,Service pack 1(or 2),.net framework 1.1

PS : Animations are so simple like moving some labels,changing their sizes,etc.

Ok although the animations are simple maybe it has something to do with the onboard graphics not being able to cope with the information all at once.

But I have tried with a FX5200 also but the problem is not solved. I forgot to mention that I am using serial port to update some information.

What is the format of the animation? Or you are talking about vb.net code that moves some controls around? That's probably related to your code (maybe using of serial port) but nohow with PC resources (Intel Celeron 2.4 is absolutelly enough powerful to play any kind of animation).
Post some code ... Cheers ;)

It is exactly as you said. I am only moving some controls around it is all just related that. I don't think that the problem is related to my code because it is working in my PC. I started thinking something may be wrong with assemblies. I can not give any code because I am unable to localize the problem. Moreover, I am currently seeking the problem other places than the code. But the basic scheme of my program is like this:

I have one object(obj1) which communicates with a external control device through serial port using MSCOMM control. Then it processes the data and provides some information to second object (obj2) like the lid is open or a motor is running. I mean I write something like this:

If obj1.mixerReady then obj2.mixerRunning = True

Finally I use a timer ( Interval = 50 ms) to check obj2. If mixer is running I start moving a label in a textbox or if a lid is open I make another label visible.

Now the problem is this, all these work quite well in my PC. But when I run the executeable in another PC, animations just don't start in time or never start and labels don't become visible or invisible. But when I minimize the application and then maximize I see that animation is started or the labels become visible or invisible as expected. Eventhough my code includes many animations and control it can be simplified as this.

Thanks.

Well, from all this, you will probably have discovered that the only issue is caused by that COM object. Try to run only extracted animation code on different machine (with no included com object) and you'll see that it will work flawless (btw, timer would never cause sucha bug/crashing).
However, i know too little about that object in order to help you out ... probably you app needs to be tested/debugged and from this distance i can't provide more help ... i'm so sorry

Cheers ;)

Actually I take your word. Now It sounds me logical that com may result such a problem. From now on I will spend my time on this way.Thank you.

Caglar

Back