SQl Server Security Access to folders...

JaedenRuiner

Programming Experience
10+
Okay, this is complicated, but I will do my best.

We have Two servers on our network. The Domain Controller and the Database Server (both running win 2003 server).

The Domain Controller controls all of the user accounts and group policies, etcetera, you get the idea. But the Database server is running our interbase and sqlserver instances for the different applications we run.

Now this is the situation:

SQLServer2005SQLBrowserUser$CORDEFW042
SQLServerFDHostUser$CORDEFW042$SQLEXPRESS
SQLServerMSSQLServerADHelperUser$CORDEFW042
SQLServerMSSQLUser$CORDEFW042$SQLEXPRESS
SQLServerReportServerUser$CORDEFW042$MSRS10.SQLEXPRESS
SQLServerSQLAgentUser$CORDEFW042$SQLEXPRESS

Those are the defaultly installed "groups" that are utilized by the SQL Server database service/engine, which exist on the Database Server. However, they exist as local groups, which allow the specific "database users" access to files/folders and other such things that Database utilizes. It would be a difficult thing if the database could access the mdf/ndf files for a database, but they existed in a folder where the user's security permission prevented them from reading it.

However, those groups, are as I said, installed locally to the database server, not the Domain Controller, which also retains all of our domain shares and our Active Directory listings.
So, since our IT guys are not exactly versed in the SQL Server side of things (that's my job) I need to find out how I can either:
  • Add the Local Groups from Server CORDEFSDB1 into the CORDEFSFP1 Domain Controller's Active directory groups, allowing the SQL Server access to the same files/folders on the shared drives.
  • Create those accounts on the CORDEFSFP1 Domain Controller and then define the CORDEFSDB1 SQLServer instance to use the Domain controller groups for permissions instead of the a Locally defined group.

Thanks

You want to know which car you should drive as a VB.Net developer too? ;) Talking VB.Net, is this even programming related at all? Unless you want to do this with VB.Net code, specifically, I suggest you try this with support forums for SQL database management and/or Windows network configurations. Otherwise I can't see how this relates to VB.Net development. Try these:
SQL Server : MSDN Forums
Windows Server : Microsoft TechNet Forums

Back