sql connection string to hosting site

chad_stone

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have a domain where I have 1and1.com hosting the site. I have created the site but now I want to add a page that uses an objectdatabound with vb.net. I have also create the database. At this point my connection string points to a local server. How do I change this to point to the SQL that I have set up through 1and1.com control panel.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am not sure, is this the correct information
Hostname is win5436.pba.perfora.net - would this be the server?
Database name is db234668

What happened when you tried to use those values? You don't need to ask others whether something will work when you can simply test it for yourself. The more you do for yourself, the more you will learn.

Well dude, since you want to be so helpful and rude. I did test myself, but it did not work, or I would not be posting, but thanks anyway, and I'l figure out what is wrong myself.

Well dude, since you want to be so helpful and rude. I did test myself, but it did not work, or I would not be posting, but thanks anyway, and I'l figure out what is wrong myself.

And how are we supposed to know that? Trust me, there are many people who don't try anything for themselves. If you did try and it didn't work then why ask whether it will work, because you already know that it doesn't? We can't read minds. We only know what you tell us, so you have to tell us all that's relevant. If you tested by executing some code and it didn't work then that's relevant, so you need to tell us that. The code you used is also relevant because if you got it almost right but not quite then, by seeing exactly what you did, we can see exactly what you did wrong. Also, if you tried and it didn't work then something happened. We need to know what. If there was an error message then we need to know what it was.

I'm not being rude. I'm being blunt. If I was being rude I'd have said something like "stop being so lazy and test it for yourself. If I was to simply answer your question as asked then I'd have said "yes" and that would have been no help to you whatsoever. I'm not here to coddle people. I'm here to tell people what they're doing wrong so that they can fix it. If what you're doing wrong is not testing what you should be testing then I'm going to tell you that. If what you're doing wrong is posting inadequate information then I'm going to tell you that. Fix those issues and then your, we or both of us can fix your problem. That's what you want isn't it?

Actually, I never asked why it would not work. Read the post again. I asked "How do I change this to point to the SQL that I have set up through 1and1.com control panel". I also asked "Hostname is win5436.pba.perfora.net - would this be the server?
", I don't need you to look at my code. I just thought someone may have used 1and1 before, because I have had small issues before with them.

Thanks

Thanks,
I got it working.

***Edited***
The 1and1.com FAQ is where I had initially went when first trying. I just had the Server name wrong.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back