Splash Page problems

Programming Experience
Beginner
Okay, for my application, I was working on a basic flow chart that would open the splash page, then read a text file to see if this is the first time the user has opened the application. However, I couldn't get the timer working (at all), so I decided to make it so that the user has to click the form to proceed. And then I ran into some trouble getting the splash page to close and the login/wizard page to open right after. Here's what I did. (Note: I changed clicking the form to clicking a button to simplify.
VB.NET:
    Public Shared stform As New startup
    Public Shared splashform As New splash
Pretty simple, just declarations.
VB.NET:
    Private Sub butClick_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles butClick.Click
Insert the Click Event.
VB.NET:
        Close()
        stform.Show()
And here's the problem. See, it seems to close the application, and not just the form. I even tried to reverse the two, but it still doesn't work. So I tried this.
VB.NET:
Me.Close()
stform.Show()
And I still get the same problem, So, I use my sense and try this.
VB.NET:
splashform.Close()
stform.Show()
And now, it doesn't do ANYTHING! And, then I end the sub
VB.NET:
    End Sub
If anyone has any help to give, please give it. I'm new to application development, so please don't flame me for not being a computer expert.

EDIT: I'm also just making a Windows Form application, and not a Web Application. Being a web guy, I use the term "page" a lot.

Okay, that worked, sort of, but it says that I have to use a Form.ShowDialog or an Application.RunDialog. However, since it's a splash page, I can't have it as Dialog, because that means that in order to run the app, the splash page has to be active. And I set the splash page's "TopMost" attribute to True.

Back