Slow remoting

Viper

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi

I've developed a remoting application that uses a TCP channel with a Binary formatter. The server side is a Windows Service that is on the same server as the database.
The service hosts Singleton components under one port and the same components (gave them different remote names though) as SingleCall under a different port.
Basically on the client I can then just choose which components to connect to. I usually connect to the Singleton since they are faster.

When I first started developing this application, it ran quite fast... Much faster than the VB6 app that it is replacing.
When I deployed it to the some of the customers, it is VERY slow. The program takes forever just to show the Splash screen.... as in more than a minute (and that is basically the first code that is executed). The VB6 app that connects directly to the database over the network opens up and logs in in seconds.
Last week however, I deployed that app on a new customer's network and after we sorted out the firewall, that thing was freakin fast.

So since I haven't changed anything on the app, I'm thinking there is some settings in Windows or somewhere that is affecting the application's performance. Maybe this is Framework related and not really remoting, but I don't know.
Any ideas what could cause the performance problems?

Back