skinning in vb.net

genu

Programming Experience
1-3
Here is a project that I made with a skin applied to it? here are the troubles that Im having with it:

1) Resizing the form cause the skin to flicker as its resizing
2) the Transparecy of some of the images in the skin is messed up (top area)

ALSO is there a way that I can acomplish this:

I want to make rollover images for the buttons, and I am lookin for a control that I can do this with, or to modify the image control.
---to be able to have in the properties images for
*normal image
* Mouse over image
* mouse down image
* click image

if the project does not display the images, I can upload those too thanx

Attachments

• WindowsApplication24.zip
    96.8 KB · Views: 65
another question is: Why is it that when I tried this program on my friends computer, many parts of the skin was not aligned, even the listbox was not where its supposed to be exactly. Does the client resolution affect the way the skin is shown?

if thats the case, how can I make the skin show same way on all resolutions?

1) Resizing the form cause the skin to flicker as its resizing:
You can set certain styles of the form to stop the flickering:
VB.NET:
Me.SetStyle(ControlStyles.AllPaintingInWmPaint Or _
                    ControlStyles.ResizeRedraw Or _
                    ControlStyles.DoubleBuffer, True)
2) the Transparecy of some of the images in the skin is messed up (top area):
The image format that you save the file as in whatever graphics program you're using can cause that. If you save as gif for example, the app most likely changes the pallette and also changes some of the colors. Try saving the image as a lossless file, something like png.

When I opened your app, some of the images and the listbox were not where they should be but I was able to move them. The resolution should have no effect on that. I did have to convert the files to VB.NET 2002 and I'm not sure if that's the cause.

As far as mouseovers, there's many ways to accomplish that. I would suggest using GDI+. Here's a sample app that uses GDI+ to create a skinnable app: SKIN - Here is a completly Skinned application with Resizing and Moving

Hi, thx so much for the reply. I got everything to work....no I just have one more problem. Everything works on my computer, but when I run it on my friends computer, I notice that some of the skin elelments are not where they are supposed to be, and are not aliggned. Whats could be the cause of this?

does the resolution affect the way that the controls are placed on the form? because not just the skin is messed up, but also the listview control is not where its supposed to be.

Back