Resolved Setup Start Menu Icon Problem

Bernie

Programming Experience
3-5
I have my setup program installing the output of the project to the appropriate folder and it creates a folder in the All Programs menu. But I'm having trouble creating the icon to run the program in the All Programs|MyCompany folder. I right click on File System on Target Machine | User's Programs Menu | MyCompany folder and select Add. When I select Project Output I get the exe icon, but also an icon for the config file.

What am I missing here? I just want to create a shortcut to the exe file output by the project.

Thanks,
Bernie

Last edited:
You can add shortcut in menu folder and point it to the existing Primary Output. The "Primary Output" is where the application exe will be deployed to. You can also go to where you have put Primary Output and create a shortcut to it (same as Windows Explorer) and move that shortcut to the menu.

OK, so I drag and dropped an icon from the bin\release folder of the project, into the User's Programs Menu|MyCompany folder in VS. That puts a working shortcut in the Start menus, but the name includes ".exe" on the end. When I try to modify the shortcut in VS, it won't let me modify it's name. How do I change the name of the shortcut?

Bernie

I'm not familiar with the procedure you described. See step 4 in this article for a more thorough decription of what I said: Setup Project Deployment in VB.NET 2005 - Part II Renaming a shortcut in File System designer is not a problem in my experience. The menu shortcut can be assigned an icon from an existing icon file in Application Folder.

John

Bingo! Great article, I like the fact the author justifies my stupidity as being ok, hahahahaha.

For an future reader, my problem was that I was right clicking on the folder in the left pane and selecting Add Shortcut. When you do that, you don't get the mini wizard to select your program. I switched to right clicking in the right pane and my problem is solved with the mini wizard dialog.

Thanks!

Bernie

Back