Server Explorer Available in vb standard?

jace314

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have been having a prob using the connection wizard from the server explorer toolbar. Is it something thats there but cant be used in the standard edition? I always get the test was successful, but upon clicking ok, I get an explorer error stating...Unable to connect to database, please check user and pass, and try again??
Thanks

When you test you are probably including password. But when the connection is created password is thrown away because of the secutiry reasons. But, You can write it in after User ID and try it. But keep in mind when you finish your app change conn string or encript it.

As far as password, I have tryed it with and without. Im more concerned with at least creating a connection to an access database. I know I can code it in, but whats the purpose of having the server explorer tool wizard, and it not making the connection?
Like I said I tryed it with the blank password check box, and un-checked. Same thing. I didnt even set a password on my access mdb?
Thank

Well its not just my project, its any? I bought a book with some walkthroughs on it, and the database walkthrough doesnt connect niether, as well as a project that I downloaded from this site. It weird, I tryed the one I downloaded from this site that was coded directly and it pulled info from the database with no problem. Its just the wizard always says unbale to connect, bla bla bla!
Im not sure if posting the project will make a difference since I can make a thousand test projects and they all do the same.
Is there something with my version of vb? Or something with XP sp2?
Thanks Again

It's nothig with XP sp2, I'm sure most of the people here use it. The only thing I could think of is that something's wrong with your procedure of creating connection. Please be sure that you do this:

In data link properties:
- Provider: Microsoft JET 4.0 OLE DB Provider
- Connection: Select access database from hard drive
- Username: Admin
- Check option "Blank password"
- TEST CONNECTION
- Drag Table to Designer, it will create connection and adapter object
- GENERATE Dataset from adapter (right click adapter object and select Generate Dataset)
- Drag datagrid to designer and bind it to dataset
- It load event code:

VB.NET:
me.myDataAdapter.Fill(Me.myDataset, "myDataTable")

THIS MUST WORK!!!
If it's not working please try to check if your database is maybe corrupted or reinstal your visual studio or microsoft access, you can even try to install new microsoft data access components MDAC (download latest version from web, I belive it's version 2.8)

Sorry if it doesn't help!

Thanks for all the instructions, which I followed. I first did a repair/re-install of vb.net, I also did the same for ms office for access. I used a component checker and Im currently running the MDAC 2.8 sp1 version.
Still the same error, even when I try SQL server database, which is running as well.
Is there any running apps that would conflict with this? Or any configurations that might cause this problem? At this point Im willing to allow remote access if someone new where to find the problem. Most people at this point are thinking I am not using the data link properties correctly. I have followed the steps hundreds of times now with the same result.
Thanks again!

I tried uninstall and reinstall last night with the .net framework. Same thing! Its crazy right! Anyway, on your next post let me know what time it is there, Im having a problem figuring out Central Euro Time?
Thanks

Hey I've searched a little about your problem and found this:

The wizards are not part of standard edition, but you can still use the controls. You can connect to any database (datasource) you want programmaticaly.

Check microsoft support first and ask about standard edition wizards!

Back