Run without framework

ilyail3

Programming Experience
1-3
can I somehow run application that required framework2 to develop on a computer that doesn't have it?
I wrote a big program using framework2 because of MYSQL.
I tryied to distribute it but than I got extremly annoyed when I discovered no one I gave it to could run it, the application returned a "missing framework" error.
Can I make my application run without framework2 installed?

Simple answer is NO!
You cannot run the .NET app without FW nohow !
However, notice that you can install .NET Framework with your application (at once), but only if you have installed the optional Visual Studio .NET Framework Bootstrapper Plug-in on your development computer http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/bootstrapper/

Happy New Year 2:):)6

Can you run an MFC application without the MFC libraries installed? No.
Can you run a VB6 application without the VB6 Runtime files installed? No.
Can you run a Java application without a JVM installed? No.
Think about what you're asking. Every class you've used is part of the .NET Framework. I assume that you're aware that .NET apps are not compiled to machine code. They are compiled to MSIL and the machine code is created on demand by the JIT compiler that is part of the .NET Framework. If you're using VS 2005 then the bootstrapper is already built in. If you're using an Express IDE then you only have ClickOnce deployment but there are third-party installers available, or you can just provide your users a link to download the Framework from Microsoft.

But I can't ask everyone that wish using my program to install it!
Most of the peolpe I want to deserbuit it among don't wish to worry about that staff, it's also a massive download as well.
Can I just stick some DLL file with the program?
Happy New Year To All Of You

John missed to point out that also flash movies cannot run without flash player but again more than 90% of people has installed on their computers (well for truth's sake flash player is evidently smaller than FW but anyway it needs to be installed additionally)
However, i wish it is possible as well (would be nice i must say) but i am afraid i will only confirm my previous statement and it is "NO" ...you can't attach anything like DLL in order to replace FW's role in .NET platform.
Maybe it is good to be said that next version of Windows will come with built-in Framework (propably named Vista if they do not change code name) that would be Facility of course.

Regards ;)

ilyail3 said:
Most of the peolpe I want to deserbuit it among don't wish to worry about that staff, it's also a massive download as well.

to put it simply, if these people want to run your program then they have to install the framework

if they dont want to install the framework, then they dont want to run your program

No Juggalo i think your statement is a little bit disreputable and rude if i may to say so as it is not conventional to have such relationship with your customer(s). But he should find a way to tell/explain them that it is kinda part of the application they have ordered. Moreover, he can install it without they know about that if he use bootstrapper plugin (either install as plug-in for vs.net 2003 or use as built-in for vs.net 2005).
However it is not big deal ... i mean to install FW additonally ;)

ilyail3, no you can't run an .Net forms application on any machine without the Framework installed locally, however you can create a .Net web application and let people use it from the web without them having to install the Framework locally.

Last edited:
Dear JohnH,
Please reread the original question in order to avoid more/further confusing for already confused iliail3.
Btw, the rest of your replies are brilliant ... keep up with good job :)

Regards ;)

iliail3 said:
can I somehow run application that required framework2 to develop on a computer that doesn't have it?
I wrote a big program using framework2 because of MYSQL.
I tryied to distribute it but than I got extremly annoyed when I discovered no one I gave it to could run it, the application returned a "missing framework" error.
Can I make my application run without framework2 installed?

ilyail3 said:
You obviously missed one of the most important points in my previous post. When you compile a .NET application it is NOT compile to machine code. It is compiled to Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL), much as Java is compiled to byte code. When you execute a .NET assembly, the MSIL is compiled on-the-fly by the Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler. The JIT compiler is an integral part of the .NET Framework so no Framework means no compiled code means no executing application. It doesn't matter how many times or ways you ask the question, wherever you want to execute a .NET assembly you must have the .NET Framework installed.

Back