Run without framework?

blo0dyxlies

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have a program that I made for my dad's office. It is a password generator and I need it to be able to run from a USB memory stick, on any PC at any given time. It will not run if the PC does not have .net Framework V1.1.4322 installed. Is there any way to incorporate the framework into the build of the application? If not, I am open to any suggestions.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Is there a way of detecting wheter or not the framework is installed, so if I try to run a .NET program on a machine which hasn't got the Framework installed it gives a proper message or even run's a VB6 program instead.

Hi,
You cannot do this with VB.NET as the .NET Framework is required in order to run your code that would check if it exist or not.

Your only solution is a bootstrapper app in C/C++ (if you are familiar with ...) that will detect if FW is installed and if it's not it would install/copy from certain memory stick

Also you could take a look at this article ... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318785

btw, you need to query for the existence of a registry value that is located here:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v1.1.4322 'version 1.1
Cheers ;)

Well, check this out for a surprise!

http://www.jugoars.com/vbdotnet/removed

add to the memory stick and just unpack on target PC where you want to check if FW is installed ... Cheers ;)

P.S. donate some money for this forum (couple bucks) if you find it useful ;) JK:D feel free to use without any warranty ... good luck

let me know if you got it as i have to remove from the server ;)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!!!

I found / addapted a simular program. (sourcecode is included)
I was thinking about automaticly installing the framework when it is not present!

Attachments

• Framework tester.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 66
It works great, I use it on a CD-rom. The autorun starts setupFW.exe, this program checks for the existance of the .NET Framework (form.visible=false). If present, it starts my program, otherwise it installs the Framework and closes itself.
The only thing I want to try is to have setupFW monitor until when the install FW process is active and the run my program after all.

Any ideas on checking if proces is active in VB6? I know how to do it in VB.NET, but it quite different!?

Back