Rich Text Box Lines

nome_game

Programming Experience
Beginner
Dear Everyone,

We(a group of friends doing a college project) are trying to get a form to act similarly to the DOS Command Prompt to display previous entries. We are currently using a Rich Text Box to try this with but are considering using a list box. Problem is we want to see results after pressing Enter like so:

(going down like the Any Command Line Prompt)
1. Entered window
2. Echo
3. Howdy Horn Honkers
4. 3 5 +
5. 8

and so forth.

Any Help would be appreciated about the line advancement and coding on Pressing Return not just keypress.

Till then We'll persevere to find answers. Thank you all in advance.

Nome

I would suggest using a TextBox with the Multiline property set to True. You could then handle the KeyDown and/or KeyPress events to do what needs to be done when the user presses the Enter key.

actually i would do the "line advancement" in the keypress event of the textbox like so:

VB.NET:
'rtbOutPut is a richtextbox and txtInput is a regular textbox

Private Sub txtInput_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles txtInput.KeyPress
	If Asc(e.KeyChar) = Keys.Enter Then
		If rtbOutPut.Text <> "" Then
		    rtbOutPut.Text &= ControlChars.NewLine & txtInput.Text
		Else
			rtbOutPut.Text = txtInput.Text
		End If
		txtInput.Text = ""
	End If
End Sub

Thanks!! :)

Sheezy Creezy I was exstatic when that worked :) Thank you all very much once again the code was used and modified of course to fit into the program but it still works like a charm and I learned a new Key Word! :D Dang Good Site to be a part of :D... One day I'll be able to help others like you folks help me :) Thank Thank Thank You all :)

Nome

If you actually trying to make a program that looks like DOS there's always a console app. It may not be what your looking for but I thought I'd suggest it just it case...

Back