Remoting and processing objects...

UncleRonin

Programming Experience
5-10
How exactly should a person go about setting up remoting and passing information between two applications?

I have a client application which queries a server for info on it's state. The client calls the server which then processes things internally and then that result is the one which should be sent back to the client.

I don't really understand remoting very well but what I've seen in all the examples is some basic object which inherits from MarshalByRefObject and it has some basic method or property which gets called that references information internal to itself only.

How can I use remoting so that the remote object references and processes data on the server and this then gets sent to the client? Using static properties of the remoting object I'm sure the data can be processed and sent through but is there no way for the server to catch the incoming request and then process it?

I'm really at a loss here!

Unfortunately I have to use 2005... :(

I would ideally like to make use of Remoting since I have never used it before and would like to learn more about it as opposed to using Sockets.

What really gets me is how do I take info from within the Server (access the server's members and properties) and then get that to the Client? I'm able to execute code on the server but not to actually access the Server (either I'm blind or just clueless... hopefully not both!).

Say the server does all sorts of server stuff and is aware of it's state. The client then access the server and get a dynamic representation of the server's state. For example the server is an exchange rate processor which is persistent and actively updating it's rates. The client then calls the server which takes the client's request, does whatever processing it needs to using it's current info and then the client receives that info.

Is something like that possible with Remoting?

Back