Receiving Phonecalls? Need Ideas

avalon

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

I'm thinking about writing an application that can receive phonecalls.
The idea is the following:
I run a service that automatically accepts incoming phonecalls from a certain phonenumber. When connected everything that is spoken will be interpreted by speech recognition software to 'send commands' to the computer on which the service is running.

Does anyone have any idea's on where to look or how to start with writing such a service? I'm thinking about the "Voice over IP" technology but am definitely not familiar with this.

[Edit]If I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize :)[/Edit]

Any hints are welcome!
Thanks very much!
avalon

How much do you know about intercepting phone calls so far? I don't know anything myself but this does sound interesting. I would start by trying to write a simple Caller ID program and then maybe move up to a Voice Machine program just to learn it.

If you mean Computer to Computer call then the above doesn't count. I would try to write the Voice Machine program though and see what happens. I think starting simple with something like this will get you a good understanding as how to push further.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.. and thanks for your reply :)
To be honost, I really have no experience with this kinda stuff whatsoever...
I've been looking into it a lil' bit further now and I figured out I should be using somekind of VoIP system. There is this page I found that explains how to setup a PBX server.
What's a PBX server you might ask?
A Private Branch eXchange (also called PBX, Private Business eXchange or PABX for Private Automatic Branch eXchange) is a telephone exchange that serves a particular business or office, as opposed to one a common carrier or telephone company operates for many businesses or for the general public.
Here's the link: http://www.chayden.net/Asterisk/SeUpAsteriskAtHome.htm

Anyway, I'm gonna look into this and try to figure out if I can intercept these calls on my pc and run code on them. It'll take me a month or so as I need to gather all the loose pieces of my old computers and put them together as a working machine :)

At first I was thinking about using Skype, as they provide some API's too but their support looks like such a mess to dig through... much like my room really.

Nontheless it is much easier to use Skype as you don't need to setup any server, but you are limited to the API that the Skype developers offer you. Don't think you can record conversations, but worth the look at.

Besides, a PBX server can be interesting to have as a home telephony system :) Not that my home is that big :p

Grtz,
avalon

I installed Windows Vista which has descent Speech Recognition now. I've tried it out and it's pretty much awesome to say the least :)
Now I can finally start writing code! :)
I'll look into the Skype API some more now.

Back