Reading magnetic swipe card output

bemis82

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi all, I am for the first time using a magnetic swipe card reader to identify people in our computer. We have the customers credit card number on file which we use simply to identify them when they swipe at our computer. The problem i'm running into is that when they swipe their card in the card reader (Magtek mini usb) it outputs the data as ASCII which looks something like %B followed by the credit card number in whatever textbox i have the program focused on. I'm sure i could just search the textbox for any 16 character number string and assume that is their card number, but i was just curious if there is some best practice to decript the ASCII output from the magnetic card reader. Thanks and sorry i haven't posted any source code attempts, i'm just asking for other oppions.

Thanks

there is nothing cryptic about ASCII, its just letter numbers and symbols. What your seeing has to do with the card manufacturer. Contact the card vendor about the contents of the data on the strip, and any demo code to construct and deconstruct data on the strip, if its not security data.

Back