Need Help with BarCode Scanner

bemis82

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi all, i just purchased a magtek barcode scanner which you can swipe a credit card or id card through. It connects via USB which was plug in ready and is acting like a keyboard. Therefore i didnt have to create any barcode class library or anything like that. Currently i have my program focused on the textbox in which i want the data to be placed and that is also working correctly. When i swipe a card it populates the textbox with data and pulls the customer's record. Where i'm stuck is i don't know how to tell if there was a physical swipe of a card but the barcode scanner couldn't read it. So that i can have an error message pop up stating that my program couldnt read your card. Does anyone have any experience or idea of this? I've tried physically swiping a card through that has no magnetic strip to see what happens but nothing happens.

Thanks.

Possibly the hardware sends some sort of message when this occurs. It is also possible that the hardware you are using does not support this functionality and it simply sends keystrokes through usb when valid data is received.

Yea i contacted MagTek and got the data it sends out in case of an error reading a card so i was able to use this for my error handling. Thanks for the help though.

Back