Read in access data (1.9 million recs)......

Slider

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi

I am wanting to read in an access database which consists of every postcode in the country. The database is approx 1.9 million records. The database consists of 11 fields although I am only really interested in two of the, the postcode and one other. Initially I would like to get user input to enter a postcode, then search the database and return the value in the 2nd field. Eventually, I would like to create a program to do this on a batch of data, several thousands and append the 2nd field from the 1.9 million database.

Any tips on how this would be done please?

Thank you.

I'd use my super duper .net program here to dump all the records into oracle at a rate of 9000/second ;)

How do you plan on getting the data back w/o a query?

The video shows how to get user input and display the resultant records (in your case 1). I'm confused as to how this isn't exactly what you're looking for.

As you can tell I'm new to VB! :)
I work with databases on a Unix platform with a dedicated language so not sure how VB interacts with Access.
I don't want to display the results in a datatable (or datagrid??) but would like to display in labels / textboxes on a form - if that makes sense?

Just to clarify, the MS ACCESS database is only being used as a lookup. There will be no editing of the data in the acess database. Am I going about this wrong? Is there another way to create a lookup table?

Hi

That's not exactly what I want to do, don't want to submit a query as such. Basically initially I would just like to get user input (a postcode). Search the access database then display on a form the requested postcode and associated fields.

Paraphrase:

I don't want to create form to search data, I want to create a form that will take user input, look it up in a database, and show the results on the form

Er..

You took the words right out of my mouth! :eek:

Yet both are the same thing. :confused:

---

Instead of dragging the DataGridView onto the form click on the combobox and select the details view option. You'll get autogenerated labels and textboxes when you drag this onto the form.

Back