Queries in General

geekwannabe

Programming Experience
10+
I have a fair amount of experience with foxpro and php/mysql. I'm trying to make the transition to .net.

I'm having "issues" creating the query that I would like. I *assumed* <g> I could use the query builder to "help" create the needed syntax but that has not panned out.

Anyhow, the issue I would like to address is application load time. My current backend is a foxpro table via VFPOLEDB. I'm not able to construct a query that limits data to 10 rows at a time. I can issue my select in foxpro without event.

The statement I would expect to use is: "Select TOP 10 id_numbr,name from num_list order by id_numbr"

The .net query builder complains as follows:

Error in SELECT clause: expression near '10'.
Missing FROM clause.
Error in SELECT clause: expression near ','.
Unable to parse query text.

What am I doing wrong here?
Should I not expect to be able to use syntax native to my datasources? (mysql, foxpro, etc)

Should I not expect to be able to use syntax native to my datasources? (mysql, foxpro, etc)

Its not really to do with the driver, but more to do with the wizard..

Even though errors were encountered while using the wizard, did you try the code anyway? The wizard has an annoying habit of trying to parse the query text on its own simple understanding, rather than using the database. This causes me all manner of hell with oracle because some syntax in oracle is definitely not supported in the wizard. I currently sidestep this by creating a view in oracle that does everything i want, and then just SELECT * from the view..

thanks for the nudge ...

Upon further investigation, it's an error from the designers inability to display the query in it's interface. The query itself does return the correct results.

Back