publishing a project from local to live webserver?

tito_puente41

Programming Experience
Beginner
this may sound really stupid to some, but i'm VERY NEW to vb.net

anyways, i have a project that i've been building on my local computer, and now want to transfer it to the live environment for further testing, but, i dont know how to do this... i tried just copying the files over, but it doesn't work...

whats the procedure for this? i can't find anything in my reference material

thanks!

OK, you need asp.net hosting, and ftp access. First you have to build project and then, using ftp access you can trasfer yours files in asp.net web server and call them.

Dejan,

Thanks for the reply... the webserver has asp.net framework, and ftp access, however, when i try to copy project... i get an error:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

and when I just copy the folder onto the server, I get a runtime error

Runtime Error

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --><configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="Off"/> </system.web></configuration>
Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --><configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/> </system.web></configuration>[/font]

However FTP doesn't recognize which type of file/s you are transfering there so the error is caused by something else rather but kind of files.
For the second error i wouldn't be so sure that server is properly configured for asp.net pages (althrough it has FW) so give it a try with simple aspx page. Just add some simple code as: Response.Write ("Hello World") and try to run the page ... if this works then follow the instructions from exception above.

HTH
Regards ;)

yeah, it was... thanks for the reply! :)

i solved that issue, the problem was in my web.config file, it was calling some crystal reports thing, and when i removed that, it started working...

now i have a new problem...

the application runs fine when it is on the root of the webserver, however, if i place it in its own separate subfolder, it throws back this error...

this is the url for the app:

www.felcom.ca/atfds/login.aspx

if i place it in root (www.felcom.ca/login.aspx) it works... but, i don't want to have 20 files clogging the root of the webserver, it would look very disorganized... :)

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][/font][/font]

Configuration Error

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 29: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile services for member sites.Line 30: -->Line 31: <authentication mode="Forms">Line 32: <forms name="ATFDS" loginUrl="login.aspx" timeout="60" protection="All" path="/"/>Line 33: </authentication>
Source File: D:\Websites\Felcom\atfds\web.config Line: 31 [/font]

deployment related problem

hello all
i am trying to deploy project(vb.net web pages.)........
i have tried both the methods xcopy and setup....
the project is working fine on the local machine......
but it is giving errors regrding Global.asax file....
plus my pages has got header and footer...
i am getting error called virtul path not found (some times can not load,or some times resource cn not be found..)
the error is in the line of header......
do any-one know why is this error coming?

Back