Professional VB.Net programming

vedder10

Programming Experience
Beginner
When do you know if you have the adquate skills to start applying for entry level VB.net developer positions? I am coming strictly from a help desk/desktop support background and I have recently finished a college level introductory course on Visual Basic.net programming. So I know that I still am in no way shape or form ready to tackle real world business level projects. However when should I be able to take that leap and change careers?

It's worth applying for graduate jobs, as soon as you feel you have a grasp programming generally. There's no replacement for hands on experience, if you manage to get one the training you'll receive will far outweigh anything you can learn at college. Don't make the mistake I did and leave things... and leave things. A lot will specify that they require a good degree but my advice would be to ignore this and get some examples of your work online for them to view (even if it's college projects).
Remember programming is such a varied subject that no one knows everything.

Regards,

Andy

Thank you

Thank you. I really apreciate the reply. I finally am deciding on one facet of IT to focus all of my energies on(programming Web/database). I always see people at work sitting at their desks spending countless hours coding. Meanwhile I am cutting open boxes, moving equipment around, and climbing under users desks. I want to make that next step. I really have enjoyed the process of building solutions using visual basic, at least for my class.

No probs.

If you're already in an environment involving software development, it might be worth having an informal word with the senior developer to see if they might be willing to train you up. No harm in trying. Companies will generally prefer to employ from within.

Back