Problem connecting to sql server express 2008 r2 instance

divjoy

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

I recently installed SQL Server Express 2008 R2 on a Windows XP machine while logged onto machine as the Administrator and now have a problem. vb.net 2010 express

I can connect to the instance using the SS Managemnet Studio and the instance appears on my list so everything looks rosy.

Then when I amend my vb.net app and put in the new sql server instance name and I get the error 26 cant find server. I have checked name thoroughly many time and I can swap between other server no problem at all, so I dont think its the code.

I have on 2 previous occasion installed sql server express 2008 R2 on tow other Windows XP machines while logged on as the domain user and I can connect directly via my vb.net app and SSMS.

So don't figur, anyone out there with similar experience?

kind regards

Hi Herman,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes I checked firewall seems the same as on other machines, yes TCP-IP enabled correctly too.

I can connect from another XP machine using SSMS to the new sql server instance no problem, but I cant get my vb.net app to take the new servernames\instancename to connect !

The installation went wel,l the only difference being I installed while logged onto the XP machine as Administrator, whereas previous machines I was logged on as domain user

Have you ever installed as Administrator...

Back