pdf rendering and text search

selvamarcadu

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi all,

I am newbie in vb.net and have been involved in designing a windows application.

I want to render the pdf document within vb.net form and highlight certain keywords.I read about AxAcroPDFLib.AxAcroPDF and tested it, but it does not seem to give text searching capability.I will be happy to get your sugestions to render pdf pages, with text highlighted for certain keywords.

Hi all,

I just went to check AxAcroPDFLib.I added acrobat reader com object to tool box.Then dragged it to form.But simply running it gives "Windowless controls are not supported".What does it mean?,Do i need any additional dll?

I have Adobe 7.0 installed in my machine.

Thanks,
Selvam

multiple pdf files in child forms

Hi,
After i used acrobat 9.x(AxAcroPDFLib.AxAcroPDF)

1)I included its com and added to toolbox

2)I dropped Acrobat Reader to My main form(frmMain)

3)Then i did, I frmMain.AxAcroPDF1.LoadFile(...)

4) ChildForm.Controls.Add(frmMain.AxAcroPDF1)

But the problem is there are multiple mdi childs for the main form.I need to load multiple pdf files for them.But when i load the second mdi child, the first mdi child's pdf content becomes empty.

Note:childforms are created dynamically

Help me to load multiple pdf files for each child form.

Thanks
Selvam

You'd want to create one control for each form, similar to this:
VB.NET:
Dim pdf As New AxAcroPDF
pdf.Loadfile(...)
theForm.Controls.Add(pdf)

Hi thanks JohnH,

I tried it,but "System.Windows.Forms.AxHost+InvalidActiveXStateException" is thrown

My code looks as,

Dim resources As System.Resources.ResourceManager = New System.Resources.ResourceManager(GetType(frmMain))
Dim pdf As New AxAcroPDFLib.AxAcroPDF
pdf.OcxState = CType(resources.GetObject("AxAcroPDF1.OcxState"), System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.State)
pdf.LoadFile("path_to_pdf")
ChildForm.Controls.Add(pdf)
ChildForm.Show(DockPanel)

When i place the Adobe Reader control in frmMain ,i could access it.But,when i create a new one it throws such exception.

Hi ,its working now,thanks for your support.

I first showed the form and then loaded the file.

Dim resources As System.Resources.ResourceManager = New System.Resources.ResourceManager(GetType(frmMain))
Dim pdf As New AxAcroPDFLib.AxAcroPDF
pdf.OcxState = CType(resources.GetObject("AxAcroPDF1.OcxState"), System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.State)

ChildForm.Show(DockPanel) 'This is the line i brought up
pdf.LoadFile("path_to_pdf")

ChildForm.Controls.Add(pdf)

Thanks
Selvam

I see that there has been some years but, can anyone help regarding highlighting a word on the PDF (after successfully putting the control on form and loading the file)...? i.e. We pass a string to the control and that gets highlighted throughout the PDF inside the viewer?

Thanks
excitive

Back