Object reference not set to an instance of an object

vbnetlearner

Programming Experience
Beginner
Our customers get an unahndled exception as stated above. Can you tell me how to trap the error on customer applicaiton? Customer does not know when the error comes so i want to know what causes the error.

Please can someone help urgently?

Hi,

You may
  1. check the windows event viewer or the application error log files, if any.
  2. ask your customer whether there is anything that can help you in isolating the erroneous functional part.
  3. test or debug the application, matching the customers environment.

am i missing anything else?

Thanks
Ajeesh

Is there any debugging facility that can be put into customers application? I can do this from my development pc but not on customer PC. The application log file has not stored these errors for some reason.

Well what you could do is add a Sub Main to the bottom of the main form's code, in which you run your app from sub Main then in Sub Main you put this line of code (in a try catch block): Application.Run(New MainForm)

then you can at least catch the error (that happens anywhere in the app) and write it to a log file, then after that throw up a messagebox asking the user to email you the log file (or you could have the app ftp it somewhere or email it to you or something, if there's an internet connection available).

Will try to add Sub main.

Just to add on to my original problem description - the error only comes up for one of the customers. All the other colleagues of this customer do not get the error. This user gets error when they log into other PCs where other users do not get any errors. Also the user does not know at what point the error appears. The user is busy working through the system and the error suddenly appears and whole application crashes. None of the other users have any problems.

Back