Newbie Question / Drag-N-Drop

panuvin

Programming Experience
5-10
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to, in the vb.net world, code an object to do something it may not have been meant to do.

I have a treeview control and an RTF box. The elements in the treeview are variable names and there's a page of text in the RTF box. What I'd like to do is be able to drag-and-drop one of the elements from the treeview onto the RTF box. I would love the ability to "drop" the variable name onto a word of text in the RTF box and have an association created. So, I dropped "strFirstName" onto "Bob", then "Bob" will be replaced with the variable name. Once I read inputs and parse the text, that word of text in the RTF box would somehow be flagged as a variable and replaced (or saved as a letter template for future parsing).

What would the simplest approach to this problem be? I was thinking of figuring the x/y-axis on the screen, but the accuracy would be difficult to assume. The only other thing I could think of is creating my own RTFbox, but that sounds incredibly difficult.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Panuvin

Back