Newbie getting started question

RonD

Programming Experience
10+
A few months ago, I started learning web development with Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition and Microsoft Visual C# 2008 Express Edition. After I had to take a break for several months, I'm now starting again. But since someone that I'll be working with knows something about VB.NET, and I've worked with Microsoft Access before, I would like to work with Visual Web Developer Express and VB.NET. I tried to find the express edition of VB.NET 2008 (which is what I think it was called), but I could only find Visual Basic 2010 Express, not VB.NET 2008 Express.

I have been learning with the MS videos recorded by Joe Stegner, which refer to the 2008 versions. Is there any way to get the 2008 version of VB.NET? Or is the 2010 version so superior that I should not bother with the 2008 version? Is the 2010 version similar enough to the 2008 version that I could still use the 2008 videos to learn from? Do you recommend any learning tools for Visual Basic 2010?

On the assumption that MS has renamed the products when they released the 2010 versions (no longer has ".NET" in the name), I installed Visual Basic 2010 Express. But when I start this product, I see a message that this is an evaluation copy. Is this the product that I should be using? Will I have to pay for the full product after an evaluation period? If I use this product, do I need to upgrade the Visual Web Developer Express to the 2010 version also?

Sorry for so many basic (pardon the pun!) questions. Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide! :cool:

-- Ron

Thanks Matt! I'll go with Visual Basic 2010 Express and hope that it is real and not just an evaluation copy.

Thanks Matt! I'll go with Visual Basic 2010 Express and hope that it is real and not just an evaluation copy.
It is evaluation until you register it.
I have been learning with the MS videos recorded by Joe Stegner, which refer to the 2008 versions. Is there any way to get the 2008 version of VB.NET? Or is the 2010 version so superior that I should not bother with the 2008 version? Is the 2010 version similar enough to the 2008 version that I could still use the 2008 videos to learn from?
MS only has the latest version of the free Express edition out. Regarding versions 2005-2008-2010 they are basically the same with improvements.
VB.NET:
On the assumption that MS has renamed the products when they released the 2010 versions (no longer has ".NET" in the name),
MS has not used the ".Net" naming suffix since 2003 version as far as I know. "Visual Basic" means "VB.Net" now.

Back