New programmer

Spekk

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi All,

I've been programming with Visual Studio 2008 for a couple of months and I'm new to the forums.
I'd like to know the etiquette of your forums (do's/don'ts) , wheres a good place to start etc
I'm interested in learning VB.NET through games programming to learn the techniques and skills through an enjoyable medium and hopefully share the code I've written and get some feedback on good programming practices / good resources to learn from.

Thx in advance.

Don't as stupid questions....

Just kidding buddy welcome to the forum. Start by taking a look at the rules and reading some existing threads. Other than that I would say before asking a question use the search feature to see if its already been answered.

Here's a couple of DO's:
When you make a thread, include a detailed description of what you're trying to do and why/where you're stuck.

Post your code (all relevant code), never assume we know what you're code is.

Post the entire error message (feel free to include a screen shot). We can't help you with errors if we don't even know what the error is.

Don't:
Don't create multiple threads asking the same thing.

Don't bump your threads every couple of hours, wait a few days, not everyone checks the forum all the time. Some only come here once a week at most.

Hi All,

I've been programming with Visual Studio 2008 for a couple of months and I'm new to the forums.
I'd like to know the etiquette of your forums (do's/don'ts) , wheres a good place to start etc
I'm interested in learning VB.NET through games programming to learn the techniques and skills through an enjoyable medium and hopefully share the code I've written and get some feedback on good programming practices / good resources to learn from.

Thx in advance.

I'm on the same boat as you, I've been programming in VB.NET for about 6months - year. I have complete some projects by myself but I am interested with working with other people in a group project.
some of the programs I've made:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezjeopardy/

Tic Tac Toe - VBForums

And I also made a program that will take a number you type in, will tell you how many factors it has, and will list all the factors ex:
you type in 20, press enter and it will say:
Number of Factors: 3
1 * 20
2 * 10
4 * 5

If you, or anyone else is interested in working on a project with me, just send me a pm or email me: giv808 {at} yahoo {dot} com

Hi Pat, good to know I'm not alone!

I've been working on Jonathon Harbour's "Visual Basic game programming for teens" for about a week now and went its all sunk in (gonna take a loooong time ;) I was planning on writing a small RPG game and try to re-create classic arcade games from the 80's. (Pacman, 1942, Arkanoid, that kind of thing.)

Re: your project, what do you have in mind?

I was thinking about a Text based game with a GUI. the reason for this is I have absolutely 0 drawing skills or knowledge on how to implement it in VB.NET (for graphic stuff I like to use FLASH lol

I might pick up that book ya got so we can be on the same page as each other, let me know if your interested!

Sure man, I'm interested, but I've never used flash before and have 0 drawing skills too. But this shouldn't really be a problem as you can get graphics and Animation sheets from a site such as this:-

reiner´s tilesets

Buying the "VB Game Programming for Teens Second Edition " book would be cool, but I've read on other forums that people have had difficulty getting the code to work (and being a bit shirty to the author about it too!)

I experienced a few difficulties with the code myself but the way to work around it is to have an up-to-date directx version installed:-

Download DirectX 9.0c (full package) - the latest version of Direct X

and adding the right references when you come to type the code in.

Microsoft.DirectX
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX - (I use version 1.0.2911.0 Anything before 1.0.2908.0 won't work with the classes you build in chapter 4)

I'm using Visual Express 2008 edition on a Windows Vista OS.

Oh yes, and any bmp or png files you use have got to be in bin/Debug folder when the program is compiled.
(Caused me no end of grief that one :) )

Seems like a lot of extra info, but if you do buy the book, this should help with getting everything to run smoothly without hours of fraustration, (trust me, I've been there!)

Right now im reading through the first edition of the book, only problem is that I'm running Win 7 with vs2010 pro, DX11. there is no managed DX with vs2010 so I might have to go and reinstall my vs2008 but I wanna use vs2010!

hit me up with an email: giv808 {at} yahoo {dot} com, I would like to set it up so we can IM each other.

Back