.NET runtime excluded

jango_fett

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi, all. I'd appreciate any help. I have a Windows Setup Project for a Windows Application, but VB .NET does not let me include the "dotnetfxredist_x86_enu.msm" dependency module when I try to build the project, but I need it in order to install my application on older machines wich don't have Microsoft Framework installed. Many thanks.

that's because the VS.net setup project it'self will only run on machine's that have the .net framework installed

so if you're using a .net setup project to install your .net application then the framework's gotta be installed first or neither will work

I'm still in the dark

Hi, Juggalo. Thanks for the tip. I'm still kind of lost. You mean that all types of Setup and Deployment Projects won't work or just the Setup Project? Maybe I should use the Merge Module Project instead of the Setup Project. Note that the build proccess only throws an exception when I establish the "Exclude" property of "dotnetfxredist_x86_enu.msm" to False. Thanks again.

JuggaloBrotha said:
that's because the VS.net setup project it'self will only run on machine's that have the .net framework installed

so if you're using a .net setup project to install your .net application then the framework's gotta be installed first or neither will work
That's not 100% true.... The setup creates an MSI file, which runs through the Windows Installer.... not .NET.... However... the setup can be created to detect if the framework has been installed and if not 1) d/l it from MS, or 2) direct the user to the MS website to download it.... It's called the Bootstrap option.

Tg

Many thanks, people

Hi, all. Just wanted to thank you for all your help. This setup project is a real headache. Anyway, thanks jmcilhinney for the link you provided, I still have to download the plug-in and test it. Thanks TechGnome for explaining the bootstrap option. I'll let you know whether or not it worked. Many thanks.

Back