.NET framework avoid full download

TheGrange

Programming Experience
Beginner
Is there any way to bootstrap your .net apps to avoid the user having to download the full framework to run the prog? If im not explaining that right then what im trying to ask is, can you include everything needed for running a .net application in the install package as one unit, rather than the user having to go through a lengthy download if they dont have it?

Further, why is that until i made my first .net application, I was never prompted to get the .net framework when installing any prog previously? It seems apparent that hardly any apps are made with .net, seeing as i have used very many on one of my machines, and have only just been asked by my own program to DL .net before intalling it? There must be a way of avoiding this?

Thanks

You can distribute the .Net redistributables with your app, both for ClickOnce and msi setup project you can choose options for prerequisites.

Another option if it really matters is to limit your development from the cutting edge .Net 3.5 that has a much larger distributable than for example .Net 3.0 or 2.0. These are also included in Vista by default, the 2001 XP predates the existence of .Net altogether so it only has .Net as optional update component.

For development without dependencies you have to go for non-managed C++, but you will likely pack a similar load of third-party libraries to manage.

I am also faced with the same problem. If some has a fix to it, it would be great to share. Please if someone knows, share it here please. :D

Back