Multiple Project Solution in VB

edu

Programming Experience
Beginner
Multiple Project Solution in VB [RESOLVED]

Hi there !
I need two create two apps. (project - executable files) wich will share the same set of base classes, but will have diferent interfases (one is the end user app. anf the other wil be use by admins.)

Wich is the best way to acomplish this ?
I've tried 3 projects inside one solution : the interfase for app. 1, the interfase for app 2., and a Class library Project wich contains the base classes for the problem. The goal is to handle independient Namespaces (packages) between interfases, but to share the domain namespace between them. I found this approach a little confusing considering I will have to distribute this two applications independently.

Is there a way to acomplish this with only one project ?

Thanks in advice for every tip !.
I'm quite newe with VB
Regards
Ed

Last edited:
In only one project? Not really... I'd do it in 2 solutions, three projects, with the two projects haring the common base DLLs.

Tg

Thanks TG !
So the way I was tring to set it up is the correct one, but, why "two solutions" ?

each solution produces it's own exe's (and set's of dll's)

so if you want two applications (one general client and one admin) then you need two seperate solutions otherwise you'll get and exe that's both admin and general client

this is a basic understanding mind you, there's other reasons to have two solutions

Thanks guys !

Made some rearrangements and got it set just the way I needed, according to what you suggested and my own conclusions.
Thanks again
Ed

Every project in a solution creates it own assembly. If you have one library and two application projects in one solution then, when you build your solution, you get one DLL assembly and two EXE assemblies. A solution is simply a logical way to group related projects.

If these three projects are related then it may well be appropriate to use a single solution. I have a single solution that is a Point-of-Sale add-on. It has four projects: HeadOffice (exe), Store (exe), Register (exe) and CommonLibrary (dll). I put them together in one solution because that is the only place they will be used. Whenever I create libraries that will be used in many projects, like UserControls and the like, I place them in their own solution, because they don't belong with any other specific project or group of projects.

Back