Multiple data reader.

darkfreedom

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi, everyone,

I am Ray, I am new member of this VB.NET forums community. Its is really a nice place for noobs and gr8 programmers..

Anyways, I havebeen given a project of developing POS (Point Of Sale) program. I am using VB.NET 2003 and ADO.NET for data access. Microsoft Access 2003 being my database software.

I have lots of Qs to ask and in following weeks I will be perhaps posting Ini every relevent section. Mt first part is to incorporate a login control, with a clause that if a user tries to login with same username but incorrect pass 5 times, then that user Id wil be disabled.
So, to have this control, I obviously tried to create 2 sql statements, 1 for userid and pass and try to read them together using 2 different OledbDataReader but same connection. I have an error saying that a datareader is alerady openin connection that must be closed.

Is itnot possible to access to different data field withing the same connection? Please help me, Il update with the code.

Thanks,
Ray :)

hi

in regards to your error, after you finish with a datareader you havent specified

yourconnection.Close()

this is important for keeping track of your code, it is unwise to keep a connection open for no reason

also, you dont need two statements for your username and pwd, you can simply use one...

ie.

sql = "SELECT UserID, Pass FROM tblLogin WHERE UserID = #the user id# AND Pass = #The Password#"

hope that helps mate

regards
adam

Last edited:
Back