Question Multi-line Data Views

olam

Programming Experience
5-10
Does anyone know about a .NET application that can show multi-line data views like this:

truedbgrid_multiline.png

There may be third-party grids that can do it out-of-the-box, but doing that with a DataGridView would be quite difficult, although possible I think. You could probably do it with a DataRepeater without too much issue I think, although that will then not be a grid so you won't be able to click a column header to sort and that sort of thing unless you implement it yourself.

There may be third-party grids that can do it out-of-the-box

That is what I'm looking for. I have found DBGrid from ComponentOne that can do this. That is where I got the screen shot from. But this module is a little bit expensive for my budget. I was hoping to find something more reasonable. Have also been thinking about this we the data grid that is coming with VS, but that will never be very user friendly.

Creating a grid control from scratch is a lot of work. Don't expect to find too many cheap options around. I'm not aware of everything that's available but a grid control is orders of magnitude more complex than custom buttons and text boxes so expect to pay accordingly.

jmcilhinney, I agree with you that it is a lot of work to create a grid control from scratch. But, does that mean that I should pay $1000 for this module or $100? I'm using several modules that are free. One example is a real-time scope graph that is showing amplitude vs time. This module has a lot of functions like, auto scaling, customized colors, filtering etc. etc. I'm sure there is a lot of work to make this module from scratch as well, but you can get it for free, it is a open source project. I'm willing to pay for modules too, and I often do that.

I hope you understand my intention a little better now. I'm just reaching out to my fellow software developers to kindly ask for some advice. I chose this forum because it seems to be a fairly active and serious forum. A big thank you to you and however else is running it.

I wasn't trying to criticise or put you off, just suggest that what you want may not be possible. Like I said, I'm certainly not aware of everything out there so maybe it is.

Back