Merge Modules for Crystal Reports are missing

johncassell

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi there,

I am trying to build an app which will run a crystal report. I understand you need to have the following installed merge modules in the setup file..

Crystal_Managed2003.msm
Crystal_Database_Access2003.msm
Crystal_Database_Access2003_enu.msm
Crystal_regwiz2003.msm

This would be fine, only those files are not on my PC!!

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

John

Hi Arg81,

Thanks for the reply.

After posting this question I actually went to that website and downloaded the zip file. It only contained two files (CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm + CR Deployment using .NET Framework 2.0 Merge Modules.doc).

No sign of the other files.

Sorry for being an idiot :) but is there something extra I need to do?

Thanks again

John

but is there something extra I need to do?

Read the word document :D

It has full instructions of how to extract the file in the correct folder on your local hard drive to then use within your programs.

When deploying your system using the Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 2.0 merge modules, please ensure that the following dependency files are available in the \Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules folder. Without these dependency files in place, the setup will fail.

Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm
policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm

If the 2 files listed above do not exist, you need to add/remove programs and change visual studio 2005. Make sure the checkboxes are ticked that is shown on the document. (attached screenshot here)

Follow the walkthrough in the word document to set the modules up.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had already read that.

All it says is to copy that one msm file into the merge modules folder then build the setup file from scratch. I have done this and the 3 requested msm files are still not in the folder. I also tried with my original setup project and still no luck.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help on this..

John

Hi Arg,

no need to apologise, very grateful for your help.

I ran the add/remove programs and went into edit the VS setup...

X64 Compilers and Tools was there and ticked but the Itanium Compilers and Tools wasn't even there to tick. I am running Visual Studio 2005 Professional on a Windows XP Professional system (Not sure how to tell if it is 32 or 64 bit but im guessing 32).

Also, the 2 dependancy files have been there all the time. The 3 files I mentioned at the start are not there at all and it says in the VS help that they must be there!

Feel free to start ignoring me as I know i'm being a pain in the arse! :)

Thanks

John

Itanium Compilers and Tools wasn't even there to tick

I was being a muppet. You don't have to tick ANYTHING unless you're using 64bit.

I am running Visual Studio 2005 Professional on a Windows XP Professional system

same here :D

The 3 files I mentioned at the start are not there at all

Once you've copied the file into that folder and do the walkthrough bit, they get extracted out.

1) Copy CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm to the \Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules folder.
2) Start Visual Studio.
3) In the File menu, select New|Project.
4) In the “New Project” dialog box, select a Windows Setup Project or a Web Setup Project.

5) In the “Solution Explorer”, select your setup project, right-click, and select Add|Merge Module from the pop-up menus:

6) Add CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm to your project:

Note that Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm and policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm will be automatically included when you add CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm to your project:

7) Build your project.
8) Run your deployment setup.

Ahh, I think we are getting somewhere now!

I then only have one (possibly..) last question.. :)

how do you deploy a report? I am looking for a bit of code I could stick behind a windows button which will launch the report...

John

Done it. I didn't realise you had to add the reportviewer control to a form.

Code makes sense and works now.

Thank you so much for your time, help and patience. I really do appreciate it.

I very much doubt it but hopefully I can help you in future!!

Thanks again.

John

Back