Making ASP.NET Web Forms Site, need Media Player

jcardana

Old to VB6, New to VB.NET
Programming Experience
Beginner
I hate being a bother. I don't understand why I have to jump through so many hoops. When I made my Windows Forms Application, I had no trouble getting WMP in there.

I'm trying to add a media player to my webpage "Default.aspx".
I've tried adding to my toolbox... won't show up.
I've tinkered with adding a reference, but since I don't know what I'm doing... yeah, that's not working.

I have right-clicked on the toolbox... selected Choose items... selected COM components tab, scrolled all the way down and I see the listing of Windows Media Player and it is checked.
I uncheck, click ok, go through the process again, rechecking and I get a notice saying...
the control was added but are not enabled in the active designer. At the bottom, "Make sure the controls to add are compatible with the current designer and .NET Framework version."
How do I do that?
I have .NET 4.6... isn't WMP a part of the framework?

My C:\Windows\System32\wmp.dll is version 12.0.7601.23517. If it's not compatible with VS.NET or VB.NET.... then what? I'm so lost... I want my VB6 back!!!

Thank you for your time and being patient with me,
Joe

So I've been all over the internet. Seems most everything I need, I have.
I did come across one site stating I need the Windows SDK which contains the Media Player SDK.
I have DLd it, but it's for Win7 (I'm running Win 7) and supports up to .NET 4
Should I install this? Will it corrupt my .NET 4.6 installs?

Again, thank you for your time,
Joe

The website states...
ASP.NET Web Pages with Razor syntax lets you play Flash (.swf), Media Player (.wmv), and Silverlight (.xap) videos.
What about mp4? I started using ASP.NET Web Forms Site VB, are you suggesting I use ASP.NET Web Site (Razor v3) VB?

I went to the webpage you linked to and got to "Playing Media Player Videos". From there I clicked on the link " Installing Helpers in an ASP.NET Web Pages Site"
1. I don't have the "ASP.NET Web Helpers Library" listed in my Manage NuGet Packages.
2. Having to skip that, I added a new item, selected Empty Page (Razor v3), renamed it as MediaPlayerVideo.cshtml
3. Copied the code into the page between the @Code section and now I have 24 errors.

I don't understand why this is SO DAMN DIFFICULT!

Also, I don't have the tools needed using the Razor as I did using Web Forms. I need a 5 hidden panels to place video titles and descriptions into so when the user selects a category, the related panel becomes visible.

Is there somewhere I can go to "Start over with the basics"? I'm beginning to believe this is all just beyond me and I want to hang it all up.

I'm so very frustrated... I'm going to take the rest of the weekend off.

Thank you for your time and patience,
Joe

Back