make Auto suggest textbox drop down on focus

vinitfichadia

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all,

May i pls know how can i make autosuggest textbox to be drop down on getting focus into it.

whenever a textbox gets focus, i want autosuggest list to get dropdown without typing anything into it, just on getting focus into it.

Thanks,

Vinit

I'm not trying to hinder the idea of having a dropdown textbox in the windows forms area (there's an autocomplete extender ajax control that does this for web forms textboxes already)
but....

you can do this with a combobox in .Net 2.0 already, and I have code that allows you to do it with a .net 1.0/1.1 combobox as well.

the other thing I'm wondering about, JB, is that a Windows.Forms.TextBox has several properties relating to AutoComplete. Have you ever used them? Would they help in this situation?

You can use a ComboBox as a TextBox (The AutoComplete is the DropDown, but the user doesn't have to select anything, they can keep typing in the type-able box) then to get whatever they typed in (or selected) use the ComboBox's text property (yes, it has a text property) and viola you have what appears to be an AutoComplete TextBox

the other thing I'm wondering about, JB, is that a Windows.Forms.TextBox has several properties relating to AutoComplete. Have you ever used them? Would they help in this situation?
I didn't know they added those properties to the Windows.Forms.TextBox

actually what the problem is i m having nearly 100+ texbox control in my windows application, so it would be hard to replace all with combobox.texbox specific solution would be highly appreciated.

Personally, I'd spend the time changing all of the TextBoxes to ComboBoxes instead of spending the time to develop and test an extended TextBox to make it work like a ComboBox

Back