loading an application deployed on the server from the client computers

craftit

Programming Experience
Beginner
i deployed an application developed with vs.net 2003 on a server and created a shortcut on the clients from the installation directory on the network which is shared.
but the application wont load.i get the following runtime error.
"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Process id=0x2ec(748), thread id=0x3b4(948)."
Please can anyone tell me how to solve this problem.
i am new to visual basic.net i need to solve this problem as soon as possible

I am expecting that your development .NET framework and the client framework is not the same version.

You can checked the .NET documentation on MSDN on this issues. The help indicate that the framework version on the deploying machine needs to be the same as the one that was used for development.

On the deployment machine, you had
to get the framework that is the same with your development machine, and installed the framework. Though both mention that the framework version is 1.1, there must've some change

Try uninstalled the framework on the deployment machine and installed a the same framework as your development machine.

i used .Net Framework 1.1 on my development and deployment machines.
it works fine on my deployment machine(server) but doesnt work on the clients.
i get the error message "Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Process id=0x2ec(748), thread id=0x3b4(948)." on my client computers

Last edited:
I installed .net framework1.1 on the client pcs also.
better still, what is tbe best way to access the application
deployed on the server from the client systems?
Is it with the way i did as explained or is there any other way.
Please the solution to my problem is very urgent, my application is complete
and it's just left with deployment.
Thank you

Does your application reference any files dll's resources that are on the server by using a fully qualified abolute refernce; for example c:\options.inf
If so this might explain your problem.

if the referenced resource file is to remain on the server, then you will need to either use a relative network URN or give the client based software the ability to find that file across the network. The other possible scenario would be, if you were to deploy a local copy of the resource file to each client target.

dont know if mapping with WShost would work.
i now intend using windows script host by mapping the path to a drive letter say(x) and passing it to my datasource property of my connection string because im using d accsess file as my backend.
please let me know if this would work fine for me.
thanks for your replies

Drive letter mapping should work, but may be somewhat volatile. That is to say that you cant always guarantee that the drive letter will always stay the same. A better solution would be to use a fully qualified URN; <example>
\\TheServerName\TheShareName\thefile.ext
</example>

Back