Learning VB.net

Bam

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hey all!,

Ok ive been playing around with VB.Net for about a month now! So i went and bought SAMS TY VB.NET in 21 days! But to be honest its more criptic that microsofts usser documentation!

For instance it goes on about the sub main procedere when coding with a console app. then when it gets to form programming it doesn show anythin about sub main!

Would i be correct in saying that there are to different ways to code, one being console and kinda top down, and the other being forms! which would be more snippets of code which are accesed via clicking on controls?

The other thing is i cant seem to find a site that has simple examples that i can follow to learn to read the code! any idea's.

And one more thing. does anybody get an error when they try rename there controls. the error says somthing like sub main not accessible.

In a WinForms application you can have a Main procedure but you don't have to. By default, the compiler configures your application to just startup with an instance of the first form created in your project. You can open the project properties and change the startup object to a different form, a module or a Main method. If you're using VB 2005 then you need to disable the Application Framework from the project properties if you want to use anything other than a form as your startup object. In older versions of VB.NET, the main reason to use a Main method was to enable visual styles. This is not an issue in 2005, so you don't need to use Main method unless there is something specific you need to use it for.

Hi bam, i started using vb.net only at the start of the year. And i have been trying to teach myself, admittedly because i'm tight and didn't to pay the money for all the courses!! But everything that i have learned has basically been from playing around with code. So..... get yourself a good reference book, get hold of some code, from i.e

www.thecodeproject.com

sit down and try and figure out what is does. Then try and modify it to do somoething that you want it to do.And if you need any help at all then just place a post on this forum and someone will be able to help you.;)

I'm agree with that, I think that's a really good way to learn. It allows you to develop some other capacities and skills. For example, I wanted to do a client/server application, one month ago. I didn't have a clue about how to do it, so the first thing I learned about it was that I must use socket, then I started to look for that keyword, and found some great examples on the net, most of them in english, so that was an extra problem to me. When I realized that the applications I found were only for teaching in some basic way how to get it done, I begun to write my own application, adding my own functionality to it. That means that I have to learned some other great things about .Net, as Serialization, background threads, asyncronous applications, and stuffs like that.
That's my personal experience, I'm a beginner, I code since 8 months, and I think that kind of learning, I mean self-learning, helps you in many differents ways and like I said before, allows you to develop other skills. It may be turns harder at beginning, but I recommend it for long term learning.
And of course, have always a reference book and always a link to MSDN.
Regards!.

Back