Is there a way to deploy an application so that a use does NOT have to download .NET?

marcz908

Programming Experience
5-10
I download and install programs all the time, and it never tells me I have to install the .NET framework, but when I deploy my application, and install it on another computer, I have to wait about 20 minutes for .NET to download and install. Why is this? How can I get my program to install quickly like other programs?

Do your target computers have the PREREQUISITE of the .Net Framework already? If not, it will be downloaded, if they DO have it, then it should not get downloaded again. You can also include the .NET Framework with your deployable depending on the installation system you use, i.e. InstallShield, etc.

What are the programs written in there do not have to download the .NET framework when installing, such as, AOL Instant Messenger, Firefox, etc? I know these are written in C++, and I'm looking for Visual Basic, but what are these programs using that they don't have to download the framework?

It's not what they are using, it's what they aren't using - the .Net Framework.

I really like .NET, and I'll probably stick with it. What are my other options? I would like people who buy my software to be able to avoid that 20 minute download just for a small program. What are the pro's and con's of using .NET verses my other options, whatever they are?

For no-dependencies (except OS core) there isn't much other realistic options than C++ (not managed). Also C++ apps are usually deployed with other non-managed C++ libraries that the developer choose to use, similar to .Net developers often choose to use additional libraries on top of .Net Framework.

Why is this?

Because the .NET framework is required for a .NET program to run.. In a similar way to WIndows being needed for a windows-based-gui program to run.

Asking how to deploy a .net app so the user doesnt have to download .NET is a bit like asking how to install a program on the hard drive of a computer that doesnt have a hard drive, or how to drive a car that doesnt have an engine..

Back