Install Problem.. I think?

FuZion

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi there,

I'm trying to write my first windows service.. but I'm having a few issues. I'm not sure how many have heard of a control called Winsock Orcas. It is basically a cool dll that makes sockets a lot easier. I'm trying to include this in my service.. but I'm having some trouble. I call the listen() method, which basically continuously checks for a connection. But when I try to connect to the server on my computer it does not work. I have checked ports and firewalls and everything in that area is set up correctly.

Now, I have added an installer and an installer project to the program.. but when I run the installer it tells me that it cannot start the service and that the service must be installed through install util.exe first or something like that. However, when I go into the My Computer/Manage window and view services I can see it there and I can start it and my firewall alerts me that there is an outgoing connection and I allow it. Now, I did install this service a few times before and the install failed.. so this could be an old service that is not functioning properly because I was unable to delete the service. I have, however, added some code to search through the services and if it finds one it deletes it and then continues with the install.

So, I have added a custom action to the install, with the output from my service project.. and I have also added the service project output to the installer. The service project has ProjectInstaller.vb, in it with two controls.. something like serviceInstaller and serviceProcessInstaller which I have configured slightly.

Am I installing this right.. why isn't the service installing without a problem.. and also, how do I set it so that I can uninstall the service from the Add/Remove Programs menu.. or even the start menu.

Thank you in advance! Any help is greatly appreciated!

FuZion

yeah, this is more of an install issue. Essentially when installing a service you need to first check if it already exists, if it does then check if it's running, if it is then stop it and wait for it to finish, then uninstall it, THEN install your service and kick it off. The Listen() method should only be called once though and you need to make sure that it didn't fail as it's possible something else has the port open...

Back