Question Include .NET in a way so it can be run as non-admin?

sebastian

Programming Experience
10+
I have bult a VB.NET application, that I want to be portable on a USB drive.

Now I want to run that application on a computer where I am only "guest", and no .NET (not even 1.1) are installed.
I get the following error message:
The application failed to initalize propely (0xc0000135)

I have searched and found out that I need to install .NET
But the .NET installer ask for Administrator password. The network admin refuses to install .NET
I have the ability to run EXE's, but not Setups.

I need to do ONE thing of these to be able to run the application:
1: Install the .NET framework on the USB thumbdrive and have the application use the .NET framework from there.
2: Place the required parts of .NET framework in same folder as EXE and then in some way force the EXE to use these files.*
3: Embed the .NET framework in the EXE in some way.

I need a free way to accomplish either 1, 2 or 3, so the application gets portable, and no .NET install should be required.

* I have tried to take the required parts, and then compile the application using the console compiler with the /nostdlib and /novbruntimeref and then using /reference to include the .NET dlls from "." (current directory for the EXE), but still it gives the "The application failed to initalize propely (0xc0000135)" error message when run on a non-.NET computer.

The size of the final application folder/directory dosent matter.

Hopefully, Your Answer

Here is the redistributable. It requires no internet and its an exe file. It is 197 MB. I have no idea how to intall is on the flash drive, but you may be able to specify that. I didn't really look when I first installed, so I can't get to the actual setup.

3.5 exe

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

--------------------

3.0 exe

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0b-f857-4a14-83f5-25634c3bf043&displaylang=en

yes, but that package require admin privilegies, which I dont have on the target computer.

I want to do a portable application, that can be run without installing anything, without having admin privilegies.

Maybe this will help...

>I don't think you can get that anyways, since there is a logic error.
>
>If you can't install the Framework,
>>>Then you probably can't run a program not already installed.
>>Therefore, you cannot run the setup application for your own program.
>
>You may check the output directory in your project folder though. That >contains an actual executable of your program, I think.

Idea:

(1) Search for folder Microsoft.NET in the WINDOWS directory.

(2) Copy that entire thing onto your flash drive.

(3) Run Setup on your own machine.

(4) Copy your already-set-up program onto your flash drive.

I don't know for a fact that this will work, but I don't see any reason why not. But when I don't see it, all that really means is that it's not obvious.

Last edited:
.Net applications requires that .Net Framework is installed. If you are not allowed to install .Net you can't run .Net applications.

>Therefore, you cannot run the setup application for your own program.

I mean making a portable application, that is run straight from the EXE, without installation.
You know for example putty.exe , winscp141.exe, and such softwares.

Vermiculus:
Already tried that. It wont run the locally installed .NET, instead it searches for .NET in C:\Windows, since these paths are hard-coded, and then tries to run .NET there, which cannot be found.

Do you know any free software, which can make .NET applications portable?
I have seen numerous portable applications that can make .NET portable.

If you have VSStudio:

You can create your own setup project and tell it to run the exe maybe and the go into Debug mode.

Even if you just have VBExpress:

Now go into your project file | Debug | and you will find your exe there, NOT setup.exe

I don't know if the installer will be included in this file though, so you still may be stuck

but know all you have to be worried about is running NetSetup without Admin rights

Last edited:
Java also can't run if not the runtime is installed in system first, it's in the same booth as .Net.

Back