I'm confused on vb.net and c#

n3tw0rk

Programming Experience
Beginner
In the technical aspect, does c# have any advantages over vb.net (ie speed, features)? Or is it all preference? I read many sites from a google search on the subject, but couldn't find a definite answer. I really know nothing about c#, if it's appropriate in this forum, I would like to ask anyone that does know. The reason I ask, is because I just started VB.NET, and realized that if C# is almost as easy as VB.NET, then I might as well switch if C# is technically better. I also agree with some people when they say that C# code looks cleaner than VB.NET, from the amount I have seen. I just don't want to regret learning one or the other first. Any comments appreciated ;D

Thanks.

EDIT: I also found out that C# programmers are paid more, even though there's a very small chance I'll get into programming professionally, that's one advantage of learning it, if that ever happened.
By the way I'm not trying to start a C# vs VB.NET war here

Last edited:
at the begining even i had same confusion, but later i realised its all depend on you, which languange u r comfortable, eventhough i know c# but i prefer Vb most of the time bcoz i used to vb, more over vb.net is not case sensitive whereas c# is, and many a times i confuse myself while coding in c#

imo vb.net and c# are direct rivals and both languages can basically do the same thing, it's a matter of which language are you most comfortable

c# does have much more of a c++ feel, but obviously c# is much more powerful than c++

it's extremely easy to convert whole form's of code between vb.net and c#

There are some situations where C# code is slightly quicker than the equivalent VB.NET code because the VB.NET syntax can create less efficient MSIL code. The difference is pretty much negligible though, particularly in GUI apps. The one major difference between VB.NET and C# is the fact that C# supports the use of pointers in unsafe code and VB.NET does not. There are some operations that will be orders of magnitude more efficient when performed using pointers.
obviously c# is much more powerful than c++
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you there JB. C++ is still pretty much the most powerful programming language in common use. C# is easier to use than C++ for the less experienced. It also has the .NET Framework class library at its disposal. That's a feature of the .NET platform though, not the C# language. You can write managed C++ code as well, so that isn't an issue. There is nothing that can be done in C# that can't be in C++. C++ also supports inline assembly code, which can be orders of magnitude faster again than using pointers. If performance is of the absolute essence then unmanaged C++ will continue to be the development platform of choice for some time.

jmcilhinney said:
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you there JB. C++ is still pretty much the most powerful programming language in common use. C# is easier to use than C++ for the less experienced. It also has the .NET Framework class library at its disposal. That's a feature of the .NET platform though, not the C# language. You can write managed C++ code as well, so that isn't an issue. There is nothing that can be done in C# that can't be in C++. C++ also supports inline assembly code, which can be orders of magnitude faster again than using pointers. If performance is of the absolute essence then unmanaged C++ will continue to be the development platform of choice for some time.

i hadnt thought of that, i thought c# was being made to directly replace c++

JuggaloBrotha said:
i thought c# was being made to directly replace c++
C# can replace C++ in many situations, but there will always be some where C++ is the only real option. Things may change in the future but for some time to come that will be the case.

C# or VB.NET

Is'nt the C programming language nessary in order to create windows addins. Like If you want to extent the windows media player like visualizations or menu items. Is'nt this a task VB is'nt going to handle? I just switched from VB to C# because I found out XP was created with C and C++. I'm not sure if C# is compatible with the windows Language but I see C# is just like C and C++. Another good reason to switch is all professionals use the C language. I've notice C# seems like a short cut compared to VB but sometimes VB seems clearer. Switching is'nt that hard because the pratices are the same just in differant form.

With JIT i believe its just a mather of syntax why you should or shouldnt use c#.
Also i've noticed that i can figure out things i've never done faster in VB then in c#.

Back