i cannot edit my project.

nzhmz

Programming Experience
Beginner
i've been working on a project. it was working fine.

but now i cant make any changes to the project. when i debug the changes i made to the project are not visible. even if i add a button the button is not there when i debug. i cant change my startup form. even if i change the startup form when i debug the same form get loaded.

please help me to find a solution. i m clueless.

thanks in advance.

I am having the SAME problem!

I already posted about this on April 1st. in the general visual studio forum and got zero replies.

I have a project for a paying client. at least 20 forms, and thousands of lines of code that has worked no problem for almost a year now yet for one reason, in front of both myself and the client on April 1st decided to stop updating when I ran it. I added a form, and a button to show that form and ran the program and that button wasn't there. Further more it will show errors, as a matter of fact I can purposefully add a line of code that normally generates an error and would normally cause the program to not work but now the program runs like that problem isn't there.

I have tried to dynamically create the button when the form loads, and even that doesn't work. I re sized a list box in a way that I would see the change when I ran the program...nothing.

I checked if the project folder was marked as read only, it was, I unchecked it and it changed nothing.

I can open other projects or create a new one and everything works fine. Its just this one project.

Whats going on here? I feel like I hit a key combo that changed something. I have searched every menu and drop down in VS and can find nothing that supports this.

I have a meeting with my client tonight...because I posted about this on Friday hoping to get a fix so we could go one with our changes. He needs this program to create reports that need to go out Monday, to his paying clients.

PLEASE HELP!!!! SOS!!!!!

I'm running visual basic 2008 express on windows 7. Brand new computer...though I don't know the specs, is that really a possible reason for this problem?

Thanks for any advice. I only hope and prey I get it soon enough!

Nick

Yes there is an error...

The error listed is the error I created intentionally to test whats going on.

The Yes/No window doesn't pop up anymore what I run it either.
Thanks for the reply.

Nick

If there are errors in your Errors window then the project isn't building. That's why you don;t see any changes when you run the app. You're running the last good build. Delete the contents of the 'bin' folder and it won't run at all because you won;t have new output or old output.

In the Options dialog, under Projects & Solutions -> Build & Run, there is a setting that controls what happens on a failed build. For future reference, if you want to change how a program behaves, the Options/Preferences/Settings dialogue would be the first place to look. It's one of the first places I always look when using a new program, to see what it can do. I would assume that anyone who aspires to write software themselves should do the same.

The checkbox "only build startup projects and dependencies on Run" Was not checked.

Many thanks!

I did check the settings in the first place, I had noted that in my other post, and I always assume innocence. The check I was missing didn't read like it was causing my problem. I looked into the settings of working projects and noted that that was unchecked.

My question now is, what did I do to change that?

Really, many many thanks. This is a huge load off my back!
Nick

My question now is, what did I do to change that?
I believe that the prompt to run the out-of-date output has a check box to not show any more. You must have checked that at some point I would say.

Back