Question How to protect a database

Haxaro

Programming Experience
1-3
I am about to start developing a program that downloads a database, and accesses the data within it. I need to somehow protect the data within the database so it cannot be copied, or misused by other companies who can get the information within the database.

So i need a way that the database can be downloaded from a server (Updated regularly), used by the program, but at no stage be able to be opened, copied etc by the user.

How can i do this in VB?

You cannot get a secure database using Access. Even a password is not secure as there are several hacks on the net that will tell you what the password of any Access database is.

You should probably consider something like SQL or Oracle.

as ggunter said , its not a secure way to protect your MDB file w even long password.
but its better to put it ! beside choosing a password for your database, Hide your Tables by right click on it , properties then check the hide box.
if the attacker found your password , he wouldn't see any tables ! but with a little knowledge about MS access he goes to tools - option - show hidden objects , then he can see all of your data like piece of cake. so what should a programmer do ?
you need to encrypt your database file with some encoders , its the best way that can stop most of them , but its approximately & its not for certain .

Back