How to display the running processes and running applications in a windows form.

k_rads

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello everybody,
I am new to windows programming using VB.NET. My requirement is to create a windows application which should display the following:
1. All the currently running processes and their details on the system.
2. All the currently running Applications and their details.
3. The browser history, ie., the name of the sites browsed etc.
4. Also, if there is any chat service being used (like msn, yahoo messenger etc.,) then the chat log.

I can do the desiging part of the application, but how to access the processes, applicaitons, browser history and the chat log of a system.

Please guide me appropriately.

Thanks in advance.

With option 4 you might look into installed applications instead of currently running processes. The path (to find log) may not be as easy to retreive, I think you have to look around in registry and test the applications and use the knowledge you find. For example MSN can be found in CurrentUser tree Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger, and in a subfolder there you can find the MessageLogPath key.

Thanks for all your help till now..Your options 1,2 work and I'm still in the process of trying others.

Meanwhile, I've one more question..
How should I connect to a remote desktop (with the IP address given) in VB.NET?
My project is basically on Admin side.. ie., Access a remote desktop then depending upon the option (radio button) selected (ie., processes, applications, urlHistory, etc) I have to display the details of that remote desktop.
I need some help to do this.
Thanks in advance.

Both Process class and WMI support remote machines. Else you have to build and install client-server software that can do the job at other PC and report back.

ie Process.GetProcesses("remote name or ip")

For WMI you should test out the tool I suggested in linked post, there you can just select 'remote' and specify the address to see how the code looks when accessing remote instead of local machine.

Back