How to Create CHM Help file?

ngambhava

Programming Experience
Beginner
I want to create CHM Help file programmatically in VB.NET . Basically I want to create documentation for my tables and stored procedures.

I did lot of searching on net but what I found is "HTML to CHM".
So What I think is,
1) I will create html files programmatically
2) Using some complier or some batch command or some thing, I will create CHM files

But some article points that you can use CHM file as a help in your .NET Application & some where it is written that System.Windows.Forms.Help can be used for it so there must be some way.

Can anyone give me some idea or some right direction?

Just I need fire, Then I will do it.

The idea is that you create your CHM file at design time and then distribute it with your application. You don't use VB.NET code to create a CHM file. There are various applications around to create help files, some of them large and expensive. It's no little thing to create a professional help system for a large application. For the rest of us, there's the free HTML Help Workshop from Microsoft. It came standard with VS.NET 2003 but you can download it independently. Once you created your CHM file you distribute it as a content file with your applciation and you use the Windows.Forms.Help class in code to display it.

HTML Help Workshop
Sample Files

Creating the Chm file is not really a big issue here, once you've created the html pages it is just a matter of importing them to the Help Workshop, set the page order, then compile.

Back